OUR MENU

WHAT'S ON

ACCOMMODATION

HOME

GHOSTS

FIND US

CONTACT US

 

William Ashby built a hotel called the "Grand" at Slaughteryard Paddock at Horton. This hotel was pulled down and moved in sections and re-erected in Childers, sometime prior to 1889.
Ashby's Grand Hotel was joined by a pharmacy, stores, a blacksmith shop and billiard saloon.


The year 1902 was a dry year in Queensland, and the Isis was not immune to the drought which ravaged the State. In that year a fire broke out near the Grand Hotel and destroyed the stores from the hotel down the main street to where Dimmeys store now stands.

 When the stores were rebuilt, they were constructed in the distinctive architecture of the day and constructed of bricks.
The township of Childers was designed around the main street which had been merely a timbergetters' and teamsters' track.

This road follows the peak of a ridge, and water on one side of this road flows into the Isis River while on the other side of the road the water flows into the Gregory River. This street was originally called Main Street, and became a centre of controversy regarding its renaming. One group wanted it renamed "Howard Street" in honour of William Howard, but it was eventually renamed "Churchill Street" after the British Prime Minister.


Leopard trees were later planted along Churchill Street and this resulted in a shady main street which makes a memorable impression on visitors.
 

 

   Copyright 2010 Grand Hotel. Created and hosted at artxdesign studios.